Thursday, October 1, 2009

Oh Facebook, why must you taunt me?

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I enjoy catching up with old friends and classmates. I love creeping on others pages, I’ll admit it. I play those damn addictive games like Farmville and Mafia Wars. But if I were to change one thing about it, I would have to install a warning system.
**WARNING** TODAY'S STATUS UPDATES INCLUDE 2 PREGNANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS. PHOTOS INCLUDE 37 NEW BABY ALBUMS!!
Wouldn’t that be great? I have to be honest though. For some reason I force myself to look at every single picture. And I read every congratulatory comment beneath the pregnancy announcements. I can’t look away. It’s like a bad car accident that way.
My sister in law is expecting again. I’ve known for about a month now. How I found out is a fun little story I will save for another day. They weren’t telling anyone else besides family, so I could kind of put it out of my mind and forget about it. But then came the announcement. Status update- “Why do they call it morning sickness when I feel sick all day?” Very subtle. Clever. And then followed the 17 comments- “What?! You’re expecting?! How exciting! We are so happy for you! What an adorable little family you have!”
And then it hit me. J came into the bedroom to find me in tears. “What’s wrong”? He asks (like he doesn’t really know…)
“They’re going to have 2 babies. And we have none. And everyone on facebook knows.”
Thankfully he has survived a few of my psychotic breakdowns and understood what I was talking about.
He held me and said all the right things, which did make me feel a little better. And I will keep waiting for the day when I get to make an announcement. Although I’m not sure I will. For the sake of those who might end up in tears because of it.

2 comments:

  1. I hate baby updates on Facebook too. There should be a way to hide those announcements and status updates.

    P.S. I have given you an award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read someplace where someone called it "Babybook." No joke, huh? I kinda hate to admit this, but if I have a friend who is a little too informative about pregnancy, I go ahead and hide them from my newsfeed. You can always undo it later and they don't even know about it. :)

    Facebook gives me lots of grief too. I love keeping up with friends, but like you, I can't seem to look away when I see stuff that I know will upset me. I definitely will give it lots of consideration before I give pregnancy announcements or updates on facebook, if I ever have that opportunity. Sometimes it's just too much for a person to handle.

    ReplyDelete