Friday, March 13, 2009

Compassion...

I love the letter I have on the side of my blog. (If you haven't read it, I'll give you a second to go and check it out. )
Ready? OK. The line about "no longer crying for my dream, because my dream will be crying for me" gets me every time. But I have been thinking about the second half of the poem for a while now. Here it is (it's so good, it deserves a second read):
I count myself lucky in this sense; that God has given me this insight, this special vision with which I will look upon my child that my friends will not see. Whether I parent a child I actually give birth to or a child that God leads me to, I will not be careless with my love. I will be a better mother for all that I have endured. I am a better wife, a better aunt, a better daughter, neighbor, friend and sister because I have known pain. I know disillusionment as I have been betrayed by my own body. I have been tried by fire and hell many never face, yet given time, I stood tall. I have prevailed. I have succeeded. I have won. So now, when others hurt around me, I do not run from their pain in order to save myself discomfort. I see it, mourn it, and join them in theirs. I listen. And even though I cannot make it better, I can make it less lonely. I have learned the immense power of another hand holding tight to mine, of other eyes that moisten as they learn to accept the harsh truth and when life is beyond hard. I have learned a compassion that only comes with walking in those shoes. I have learned to appreciate life. Yes I will be a wonderful mother. Author Unknown"
"I count myself lucky in this sense; that God has given me this insight..."
Ok, i know what you're thinking... "LUCKY? Are you frickin' kidding me?" Now, bear with me. Maybe go read it again a sec. While infertility isn't something I would wish on anyone, maybe it's time to stop focusing on what I don't have, and think about what to do with that. Every single person around me is struggling with something. Some struggles are public, some are very private. "I am a better wife, a better aunt, a better daughter, neighbour, friend and sister because I have known pain... so now, when others hurt around me, I do not run from their pain in order to save myself discomfort..." God is not intentionally trying to hurt me. I know that. But maybe He is teaching me something bigger. Like compassion. Like being there for others while they walk through their own hell.
Something to think about...

5 comments:

  1. Hey sweet girl, thanks for stopping by my blog and sending me that sweet email...Don't ever forget, God "PICKED" Us for a reason...if we can just grow to lean on him, grow in our faith, grow closer to our spouses and grow in our strength...we CAN and we WILL get through this journey :) God doesn't ever give us more than we can handle, I am praying for you and yours... :)

    God Bless,
    Tiffany Pifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,
    I'm new to your blog. Found you on LFCA today but I notice that we have some blog friends in common! :)

    I appreciate this post so much. The words "I am a better wife, a better aunt, a better daughter, neighbour, friend and sister because I have known pain... so now, when others hurt around me, I do not run from their pain in order to save myself discomfort..." really ring true to me.

    Thanks for sharing this and starting a blog to share your story. I look forward to keeping up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogging! I hope it becomes a place of healing for you! I know how encouraging it is for me to read through my own past posts to see how much I've grown and changed!

    The letter you posted really is beautiful and I agree with every word! Thanks for sharing it! I had never read it before!

    (Here from LFCA)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came from L&F. I love to find Christian women dealing with infertility and I'm so glad to have found you. I will continue following your journey if that's okay. :) I will continue to pray for you. (((HUGS)))

    Tammy
    www.twondra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this. It is consistent with what I have been exploring in my own spirit lately. Have you read "Life Lessons" by Elisabeth Kubler Ross. If this poem speaks to you, I bet you would really appreciate her book.
    (P.S. Welcome to the blog community. I am new as well)

    ReplyDelete