I have been thinking for a while that I should share the details of our journey... here goes.
Married in October 2006. We thought we would wait about a year, and then start trying. In August 07, I finished up the Pill, and laughed when I heard about another couple who got pregnant on their "first try". Could that be us? Christmas came and went. New Years, Valentine's Day, ... every occasion I thought up cute, clever ways to tell my husband we were expecting. Nothing.
Around March, I casually asked my mom how long it took her to get pregnant with her first. A month or two, she replied. And then 6 more after that, all spaced out evenly. She told me not to worry, it would happen. OK.
The funny thing is, I always had that weird feeling that this wasn't going to be as easy for us as it was for others. Maybe God gives that feeling to prepare us.
I suspected early on there might be a problem... my cycles went from 35 days to 50 days to 40, to 60 some... something definitely off there. I went to my family doctor a couple times for pelvic pain-the only thing he found was a small cyst on my left ovary and high blood sugar. Somewhere in the summer of '08 he decided it was time to send me on to someone else. So off I went to meet my OBGYN.
I went to her around December. Went through all the same questions, and she decided to put me on the waiting list for the fertility clinic "just in case". It was a 6 month wait. Surely I wouldn't need to keep that appointment... right?
Time went on. Husband had a sperm analysis. We were surprised to learn it was low- here we had been assuming it was me. He started being healthier to try and raise it.
Fast forward to early May, 09. By now, my multiple doctors have determined I ovulate- sometimes. Not every time. Off to the fertility clinic we go. We were in good spirits- I think we kind of convinced ourselves they would tell us we could do an IUI and all would be well. Husband got to do another SA- good times. We found out he hadn't really been listening to his first doctor (not a big surprise) and that his count was fine- lazy little buggers just don't want to go anywhere. The (kinda rude) Dr then informed us that we could try an IUI, but there wasn't much chance of that working since the sperm still need to move. Husband would be better off having a low count. Super. So we can try it. But first we need to try Clomid. To see if I even ovulate. Because if I don't ovulate- no IUI. Thanks Dr. Sunshine. His biggest suggestion was to lose weight- thanks. Glad we drove 2.5 hours to hear that....
And finally, last week, I get my fourth doctor. Thankfully, she is VERY nice. And an endocrinologist. She finally diagnoses me with PCOS. Not a huge surprise, considering I had a lot of the symptoms.
So here we are. Waiting for AF to come so I can start the Clomid. I'm down 12 lbs, and feeling good. trying to focus on other things- there is more to life... right? Right. Trying to believe in God's perfect timing... and continuing on this crazy journey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You poor thing. It's always sad to write it down, isn't it? :( I wish this was easier on you. ((HUGS))
ReplyDelete